World changers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seabiscuit (Part 2)

+19
star622
Richard614
Bella628
Doris605
vicky610
callie616
Irene608
sierra612
Ellen09
sun618
susan619
Sophie615
Molly613
shirley621
Jenna624
Amelia026
Sara607
Rebecca604
MR. DUKES
23 posters

Go down

Seabiscuit (Part 2) Empty Seabiscuit (Part 2)

Post  MR. DUKES Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:16 am

If failure is the mother of success and perseverance is the father.
How is this seen in the movie, in society, and in your life? What a Face

MR. DUKES

Back to top Go down

Seabiscuit (Part 2) Empty Re: Seabiscuit (Part 2)

Post  Rebecca604 Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:43 am

The more failure you tasted, the more room you have to improve yourself. Soemtimes, you fail not because you are not good enough, acrually, we are always defeated by ourselves. Maybe we think we can't deal with such a tough thing at first, but you only know you can do it after you persist on it.

Rebecca604

Back to top Go down

Seabiscuit (Part 2) Empty reply

Post  Sara607 Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:54 am

In my opinion, the three men and Seabiscuit have the similar life experience. When one experience failure, he may have the design to change and have a better understanding of life and success, also he may gain some listens from it ,which makes one wiser. Meanwhile, success is never an easy thing, one have to keep on and never say die. In this way, this statement is right.
Sara607
Sara607

Back to top Go down

Post  Amelia026 Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:05 pm

Failure is the mother of success and perseverance is the father. We can see it in the movie. In one race, Red did not notice the man behind him caught up with him, so he lose this race. This matter taught him a lesson. From then on, he would not make such a kind of mistake. And then, he won at the other race. We can see it is true that failure is the mother of success. In the latter half of the movie, Red fell down from the horse, and was hurt badly, but he did not give up. At last, he won even though his leg did not recover, which proved that perseverance is the father of success.

Amelia026

Back to top Go down

Seabiscuit (Part 2) Empty Failure is the mother of success

Post  Jenna624 Tue May 01, 2012 5:53 am

“Failure is the mother of success, and the perseverance the father” means before a person can gain success, he may experience failure for many times and he must persevere in his work.
Failure is not a popular friend among people, foe no one wants to taste the bitterness of failure. Every time people fail, they will feel frustrated and lose the motive and courage to try again. Some people can never recover from setbacks. Others, the latter winners, can draw lessons and accumulate experience from failure. The restart in full energy, being more careful and diligent, towards their final goal. Through failure, people soberly know the preciousness of success, thus people will cherish it when they get it.
This is exemplified by seabiscuit. In the movie seabiscuit we know that seabiscuit has been taught to lose when he was young. He has got used to let other horses faster than him. After training, he can compete with others normally. He won over the so-called world animal, who was alleged to be the perfect one. The seabiscuit have lost several matches before he compete with the world animal. But he didn’t give up, nor his owners.
As for me, I have experience some setbacks in my life. I am not a smart girl. So I am not as good as others in some fields. When I was a freshman, I was embarrassed when I found how awkward my English pronunciation was. But some girls in my class speak excellent. The teachers always scold me over my spoken English. So after class I have to spend more time practicing it. in one class, the teacher let me read a paragraph. I read. But she stopped me in the middle of the paragraph, after scolding me, she called another student. I was sent to tears, quietly. Then, in the last half of the class, she asked: who would like to read the next paragraph? On one responded. My heart was beating violently. Then I raised my hand firmly. The classroom was quiet and solemn somehow. I read it slowly, smoothly and carefully. After I finished it, the teacher said: good, thank you. I smiled to myself and my confidence rebirth at that time.
So, never give up. Failure is not the most terrible thing, instead, what destroys a person is he never persevere in.

Jenna624

Back to top Go down

Post  shirley621 Tue May 01, 2012 9:05 am

Actually I not quite agree with this sentence. If one goes astray at the beginning in his pursuing after success, the spirit of perseverance would just take him farther and farther, and perhaps never come back. Only when you choose the right way, this sentence could prove it right.
Anyway, in the movie, many scenes can provide evidences to justify this sentence. For instance, Mr. Howard persisted in holding a race between Seabiscuit and War Admiral. No matter how many times his proposal had been turn down, he never gave up. I remember he said,” if he don’t dare to come to us, then we will go to him.” Eventually, he succeeded. A race that caught millions of American’s attention was on!
In society, the scientists may echo this sentence, too. For no scientific research can be successfully accomplished without failures. Right?

shirley621

Back to top Go down

Post  Molly613 Wed May 02, 2012 12:44 pm

Failure is the mother of success and perseverance is the father, that is, success is not easy to get and one can gain experience from failure; based on rich experience, you will get success if you do not give up.
In the movie, before being the jockey of Seabiscuit, Red was fired and abandoned because he lost the race match and hadn’t the real chance to go back to the match. He didn’t give up and fool around like other young people. He persisted in his dream and was marked out as “likely to success” by the trainer. In the latter matches, Red won or lost some matches but he persevered. At last he won.

Molly613

Back to top Go down

Post  Sophie615 Wed May 02, 2012 2:29 pm

Before one achieves success, what he does is substandard. At that time what he gets is failure, but he should learn lessons from failure to make himself standard. Therefore it is failure that makes the birth of success possible. On the way to success, if not accompanied by perserverance, failure can only be failure because he don't have the patient to learn all the lessons. So perseverance is the father of success.
In the movie, when Seabiscuit wins several matches, his owners become slaphappy. It's very dangerous for a winner. As a result, he lost the next match. Only by this can they draw lessons and be more capable and win succuss at last. Besides, the owner's perseverance plays a very important roll in his success. Just as the sentence says.

Sophie615

Back to top Go down

Seabiscuit (Part 2) Empty REPLY

Post  susan619 Wed May 02, 2012 2:52 pm

I think in this movie, we can see that in Red's continuing efforts to strike a harmonious state between him and Seabiscuit. Although Seabiscuit is a very strange horse and it's hard to teach him become mild, Red still goes on with his training. Also, in the process, Red has broken his leg in an accident, but he does not give up his dream and his special feelings and relation toward Seabiscuit. On the other hand, Seabiscuit, also does not give up, and it still goes on running the race along with his best partner. It's really moving when i saw the scene where Seabiscuit and Red meet each other after both of them got hurt. Besides, Red in this movie, also is very persistent. After his father and mother left him, his life began to be filled with sorrows and pains. He even runs his life for his employer and he always fights in boxing matches. However, however hard life he lives in, he never gave up his dream to be a real jockey and win the race.
In our daily lives, there are also examples. Sometimes when I run a race, it seems that i am on the edge of being exhausted, but if i go on running, i will enjoy the success and i will be the one who laughs at last. In fact, our lives are also like journeys, if you carry on when confronted with hardships and setbacks, then you'll see the brightness sooner or later.
susan619
susan619

Back to top Go down

Post  sun618 Wed May 02, 2012 3:51 pm

MR. DUKES wrote:If failure is the mother of success and perseverance is the father.

No one is infallible, thus, everyone will do something wrong which results in failure. As a consequence of this, failure is not terrible at all. It gives rise to your motivation to do something right and this will be greatly beneficial to you on your way to success. That's my understanding of this sentence"Failure is the mother of success". Perseverance is a kind of positive attitude that will lead people to success. It's to success what the groundwork is to a building. If someone has it, he has already been on his way to success. In this movie, Red used to be a boy who fight with the other guys to earn his living and Seabiscuit used to be a tiny horse with very bad temper. But when they are together and with the instructions of Tom and love from Charles and his wife, they turn out to be great success. They are unbeatable at the end. However, along the road to success, they do suffer a lot. It's the perseverance that guides them and help to win. In our life, I think I'd always appreciate my opponents and be grateful for failure. They are factors that stimulate me and urge me to seek success. What's more, I'd always be perseverant when I'm still pursuing.
sun618
sun618

Back to top Go down

Seabiscuit (Part 2) Empty re:Admin

Post  Ellen09 Wed May 02, 2012 4:42 pm

Well,I agree with this to some degree.Actually,failure is not necessary to be the mother of sucess.Maybe failure will give us more lessons.But if we can avoid some unnecessary failures through others' lessons,why we must experience them? And perservance is really important no matter what we do.Maybe sometimes we cannot get the good results,but at least we have tried our best and no regret.So if we have decided to do something,just persist it until the last moment.During the process,never give up!Just as Red Pollard never gave up Seabiscuit,or parents never give up their handicapped children or Iwill never give up my dream.So,go go! Very Happy

Ellen09

Back to top Go down

Post  sierra612 Wed May 02, 2012 4:43 pm

Just like a family needs a mother and a father. If failure is the mother of success and perseverance is the father, their combination can form a complete family. They are realated to each other and indivisible.
In the movie, these three persons had experienced many failures, but they never gave up. They gained experience from every failure and made preparations for the success in the future. To the Seabiscuit, he was trained to act as a failing horse and he had failed for so many times. However, they never gave up because they knew that Seabiscuit had the potential to succeed one day. So they continued training Seabiscuit and finally they succeeded. Their sucess is the result of the combination of failure and perseverance.
In society and in our life, before we achieve something, we must experience many faiures before we make the final success. If someone gives up because of one or several failures, he will never succeed. If we insist on going on, and accumulate experience for the future sucess, perhaps we will make it. In fact, failure is the best teacher for us, and we can learn many things from every failure. Therefore, failures are necessary on the road to success, but as long as we never give up, we will make the final success. The combination of failure and perseverance contributes to our success. So no matter how many times we have failed, no matter how hard the road is difficult, never give up. Keep at it, and you will succeed!

sierra612

Back to top Go down

Post  Irene608 Wed May 02, 2012 4:55 pm

In this movie, when Red was going to compete with the gray horse, he was a little arrogant so that he lost that race in the end. After the failure, he reflected on himself and he realized something precious. Obviously, he got a lesson from it that he should be rational and calm but not emotional toward his competitor. Then, in the second time, he won. So failure is the mother of success. At the end of the movie, while Red and Seabiscuit all got injured, they insisted on training. Finally, Red painfully finished his last and important race together with recovery Seabiscuit. Red got the highest glory. Thus, we can see that success needs perseverance.
As for in society, it's a place full of cruel competitions. So failure and success will be the commonplace. Don't be dispressed! If we could make use of our failure, we will get something surprising at least. As for me, for example, I failed my university entrance examination in the first year. But, through learning from the failure, I easily passed my exam the next year. So I believe failure is the mother of success, and perseverance is the father! tongue
Irene608
Irene608

Back to top Go down

Post  callie616 Thu May 03, 2012 6:45 am

At the beginning of this movie, we knew Red had a gift for horse race. He was supposed to win. But in fact, he seldom won the race. He was beat, threatened and humiliated. By contrast, after he met with Seabiscuit, he won in many races. During this process, Red became mature and skilled in horse race. Due to his perseverance, he was finally successful. In my view, Red was the symbol of the American society. At the early age, he experienced the Great Depression. Afterwards, he had a hard time in living on horse race as America had difficulties in recovering from the recession. Then, the victory of Red and Seabiscuit could be regarded as the rapid recovery of American economy.
In this movie, one scene made an impression on me. Red fell down from a startled horse and got hurt. He was stopped from the horse race. Unluckily, Seabiscuit was ill as well. They lived together. But they persevered in practice instead of giving up. At last, they returned to the race course. Although Red was at the risk of being crippled for his rest life, he chose to take part in the race with Seabiscuit. Finally they won the victory. This scene reflected American spirit-----Never give up to the obstacles and dare to challenge the fate. It was this kind of spirit that made it possible for America to overcome the setbacks and rapidly develop to a world power.
I think failure is not bad. For one thing, we can draw a lesson from the failure and notice our weakness. It does good to help us fill the gap between the reality and the dream. For another, to some degree, failure can encourage us to pursue the success. In a word, failure and perseverance set the foundation for the victory.
Smile

callie616

Back to top Go down

Post  vicky610 Thu May 03, 2012 9:31 am

No one can leap to success. If anyone wants to succeed, he has to step forward carefully and firmly, getting ready for the pits and twists, even the traps.
In the movie, Red and Seabiscuit are rather similar. Red cannot keep in what he is good at but struggle to live. He tried many things and even lost one eye in the boxing. Seabiscuit’s talent has not been found so it was only trained to lose in order that other horses could gain confidence. When they were found by Tom, they were in the same condition, trapping by several hooligans. They have suffered a lot, but they didn’t give up. They have also failed and injured when they fight together, but they kept on till they got their final success. Not only them, but also Tom and Charles are all like this, standing up sturdily after they fell down.
Everyone will encounter his own failure both in life and work. We are not so weak that we cannot pull ourselves together. Just persist.

vicky610

Back to top Go down

Post  Doris605 Thu May 03, 2012 11:18 am

MR. DUKES wrote:If failure is the mother of success and perseverance is the father.
No matter in which field, there always are some thing which is against your will, those things we called failures. However, I think everything you have done is meaning full to your success. So, in such a sense, there is no failure. As for in the movie, the past experience of seabiscuit was a failure to him, and he learnt a lot form it. Even after his fame, the heart he has got is another for him, because he may be never be a race horse. And from that, seabiscuit learnt how to deal with his fame.

Doris605

Back to top Go down

Post  Bella628 Thu May 03, 2012 4:15 pm

It can be seen in many scenes in the movie. The boy, Red, was abandoned by his parents. and was bullied by the people around him. They teased his size which is too big to be a jacker. And the horse trainer, he knew horses and he had a talent of training houses, but he didn't got the chance to filfull his dream until he met the man who lost his son gave him the chance. All the three people had met failures in their life, even though the horse, Seabiscuit, was also suffered a lot. But none of them gave up the hope of life.

Bella628

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard614 Thu May 03, 2012 5:06 pm

Failure is the mother of success and perseverance is the father. So, sucess has got its parents. The failures these charaters meet in this film are as hard as we met in our life or even harder. But they have gone through them and made it a much-told story. To persevere is to make your way to success. No one can reach to the goal easily and keeping fight makes it possible to achieve more.
Richard614
Richard614

Back to top Go down

Post  star622 Fri May 04, 2012 7:03 am

In the movie, the three main characters all suffered some loss and encountered with some failure in the great depression, but eventually they made some achievements due to the spirit of never let go and give up. To some degree Red and the horse Seabiscuit are sharing a lot in common; they are the vivid portrait of this sentence. If they never suffer failure, they may become pompous and arrogant after successive success. If someday they fall from the top of success to the valley of failure. The loss might be an unacceptable fact and a huge blow for them. They may collapse. Otherwise, first lose and win finally they can taste the joy of hard-won success from deep heart and cherish the result.
In society, this sentence doesn’t apply to everyone. The fierce social competition always drive people corner easily. To someone, he will fight desperately. He will win or lose, five-to-five. Others, however, may give up in the beginning and let it be. Sometimes, what’s terrible is not failure but perseverance after failure. If one cannot feel the dim ray of hope and is bathed in the shadow of last failure and is afraid of another failure. And motive and courage be exhausted in this progress. The final success is out of reach. To persevere is a burden and torture for them.
For me, if I make the decision after second thought, I will work hard to pursue success. If I fail once, I can pull together and try again with more energy and zeal. But if I fail many times, I may feel doubtful about the suitability of the road I have chosen. Perhaps It is time for me to change and choose another road to walk on.

star622

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna!!! Fri May 04, 2012 5:53 pm

Exactly, even strong-minded people will be frustrated by the difficulties or the obstructions ahead. Everyone will have the chance to meet twists and turns in the process of success. I BELIEVE if we stand up when we are confronted with failure and keep working hard, we are doomed to win in the end. Definitely, we will finally get success.

Anna!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  kaitlin602 Sun May 06, 2012 1:35 pm

in the movie, the horse seabiscuit and the rider red is a little similar in their exprience.they are all bure noble and rich. seabiscuit's mother is a famous house and red have a big rich family. and they both lost their advantages, biscuit was trained to a failure horse ,red lost his family and also blind. when they come together and seemed to achieve the success, they both hurt their leg and may never ride. what a big attack to them, but they don;t give up to gate,perseverance everytime, so they win at the end , thoughe they are all disabled.
in our life , we faced with failure, and then we know we need to success. but if we give up in the half, we can get nothing.

kaitlin602

Back to top Go down

Post  Cara601 Sun May 06, 2012 5:28 pm

I have many experience about this. I know that failure can make us cherish the opportunity of success. Because of failure, one can find the shortness of himself and then improve them. If one are always successful, he will be proud and look down upon others.

Cara601

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie620 Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:06 am

Red lost twice at the race of Santa Anita but finally won at the end, even though Red was lame, and so was Seabiscuit. But they didn't give up. They kept on working despite of their disability.
In the society, there are lost of stories like this. Disabled people don't give up on themselves, but fight for life. Paralympics is how they tell the world that they can do better even than normal people, because they are not afraid of failure and they have perseverance.
When I was in elementary school, I practiced martial art for a few years. Once I broke my arm in an accident because of my carelessness. My mom asked me to quit and focus on study--it was way much safer. But I did not. Later on, I went to different cities and provinces for competitions and won prices.

Jamie620

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down