World changers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John (Q) Part II

+17
vicky610
Richard614
Anna!!!
Irene608
sierra612
Doris605
Ellen09
Sara607
callie616
star622
Jenna624
Sophie615
Molly613
shirley621
susan619
Linda627
MR. DUKES
21 posters

Go down

John (Q) Part II Empty John (Q) Part II

Post  MR. DUKES Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:48 am

Taking hostages for any reason is wrong, but it seems to have worked for John Q's son getting a heart transplant. What do you think would have happened if John Q did not take hostages, and what this act reasonable because of the circumstances? (Explain your answer) king

MR. DUKES

Back to top Go down

John (Q) Part II Empty Re:

Post  Linda627 Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:21 pm

If John Q did not do this, his son would die because of lack of operation. The doctor and the hospital director would not show mercy on his family and his poor son. Taking hostages can work because John Q was really good man. He cared others and was not selfish. Although he took hostages, but he took a gun without bullets. He said the only man he wanted to kill was himself. People were moved by his love toward his son and his good heart. It really is an amazing film!

Linda627

Back to top Go down

John (Q) Part II Empty REPLY

Post  susan619 Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:05 am

I think, if John Q did not take hostages, most probably his son would die. Before he took those hostages, he had tried almost every means to save his son. Even he had handed over a portion of the money to the hospital, but still, the hospital wanted to release Mike, which pushed the matter onto the edge. John Q had to do something. At that time, he couldn't think of any actions which was more useful than violence.
I think his act is reasonable and understandable under the circumstances. Once, one is cornered, he will do anything beyond your imagination.
susan619
susan619

Back to top Go down

John (Q) Part II Empty Re: John (Q) Part II

Post  shirley621 Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:32 am

If John did not take hostage, probably his son will die. The hospital is so indifferent, there is a chance to help a dying patient, but it won't do unless money are paid. Is money overweights life? Money can be made because there are plenty of time to earn money, but life if not saved in time, nothing can bring it back. Though taking hostage is illegel, John never meant to hurt anyone. So it is reasonable. If he hurt the innocent people, I will blame him though his original purpose is to save his son..

shirley621

Back to top Go down

Post  Molly613 Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:39 am

If John Q didn’t take hostages, maybe he will not be punished by law at last. However, if he didn’t take hostages, his threat would not work and his appeal would not be heard and then his son would lose his life.
Under that circumstance, it is understandable but not reasonable. He didn’t have other choices. Maybe he can ask donation. Maybe he can lend a loan. Maybe he can beg doctors. They were reasonable choices, but they all didn’t work. If I were there, I would like John Q.

Molly613

Back to top Go down

Post  Sophie615 Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:45 pm

If John Q didn't taken hostages, there would be little chance for his son to have the heart transplant. He couldn't think of a better method under that circumstances, but it really worked. Maybe that was the miracle he was waiting for. And this act is reasonable just under this circumstance because he did it for saving life. In other circumstances, he has no right to do so.

Sophie615

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenna624 Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:51 am

If john didn’t take hostage and make a bargain with the police, maybe the hospital will release the sick boy. Because the power of john’s family was too limited. The doctors in the hospital have got used to death. They will do as the regulations and rules tell them. in addition, except Mike, there must be other patients who were waiting for being listed on the recipient list. So the hospital wouldn’t give the green light to John.
As for John’s behavior, I think, it was understandable but unreasonable. As a father and husband, he was under great pressure under that circumstance. His wife let him do something, anything. He was cornered and had no other option. It was quite understandable.
It is reasonable because he took hostage of patients who need treatment. Some of them need operation. Second, he might set a bad model for people who want to be listed on the list, but haven’t. but anyway, his deeds drew attention in the society, and he did made a different to some extent.

Jenna624

Back to top Go down

Post  star622 Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:23 pm

It is doubtless that john’s son would die without his hostage-taking. Because his family is poor and he couldn’t afford the money with which the hospital can put his son’s name on the list of organ transplant candidates, let alone the expensive operation fee. It is quite a miracle that the heart of the girl who died in the car accident matches with his son’s.
I think john’s behavior is unreasonable, the people he held hostage are patients who needed treated by doctors immediately. And hospital should run on regulations rather than being threatened or blackmailed. And I remember one sentence of the movie in particular” sometimes you should learn to let it go”, especially when you can do nothing. To go extreme is like riding a tiger and having no way to back down.

star622

Back to top Go down

Post  callie616 Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:30 am

If John Q doesn’t take hostages, perhaps his son will die. The hospital is reluctant to conduct the operation for free. John Q is drawn into a corner, and he has no choice but to do something. Then he takes the extreme action, though he knows the consequence of this step. He sacrifices his life for his son. What moves me is that he doesn't load the gun. He says the person he wants to kill is himself. He is a great father! Under this circumstance, this extreme measure is justified by his love for Mike. The deep love is an emotional appeal to people. On this occasion, people speak highly of John Q’s love rather than condemn his extreme action. Moreover, people also see the unfair health care system behind this case. They could understand John Q’s behavior and think that reasonable.

callie616

Back to top Go down

John (Q) Part II Empty reply

Post  Sara607 Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am

John Q is a nobody in the society, if he didn't take hostages, the government and the public won't pay attention to him. It's the reality of life and society. Taking hostage is not resonable at any time. Here it's just a movie, in the real life, no doubt he will be punished. "No emotions involved in laws" is such. In the movie, John Q's love for his child and his kindness rescue him from blame.
Sara607
Sara607

Back to top Go down

John (Q) Part II Empty re:Admin

Post  Ellen09 Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:20 pm

Well, in my opinion, the love of parents for their child is never wrong. Around us ,we can see many cases like John.Nobody blames John's behavior for his son.But, not anyone can do like him. If anyone who needs help do es like John, what does our society will become? Any day, you may become the hostage of someone. So, who can protect the safety of anyone. So,if I were one of the jury,I think John should get decent punishment. And at the same time, we can promote our government and the public to help those who need help, not in this extreme method.We understand the love of a parent, but we also should guarantee the safety of every citizen. Smile

Ellen09

Back to top Go down

John (Q) Part II Empty reply

Post  Doris605 Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:58 pm

I think this is really the last thing John Q can do to save his son. It because of the cruel facts that pushes him to make such a decision. This act is reasonable because it is the last thing he can do. And the fact proves that it works. After all, he has not hurt anybody, on the contrary, the one he hurts is himself. He is really a good father, that is the reason why so many people stand on his side when the even happened.

Doris605

Back to top Go down

Post  sierra612 Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:02 pm

If John Q didn’t take hostages, I think he must have tried other ways to save his son, but that will be a long and difficult process. Perhaps his son will die before he collect enough money. Taking hostages is illegal, but it is indeed the most effective way according to the result. I really want to congratulate him on his success.
It is reasonable because this is a normal action that a great father did in his desperation in order to save his son. This showed the greatest love in the world. What’s more, his intention was not bad, and he didn’t intend to hurt or kill anyone. He is really a kind person, and a great father because he did it at last. His love to his son and his kindness moved everyone.

sierra612

Back to top Go down

Post  Irene608 Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:04 pm

as is known, John Q's son was in a serious situation. if the father didn't take hostages, i don't think he had any other better means and of course, the son may die. as for this action the father undertook, it was reasonable because he just wanted to save his kids and he was helpless.
at the same time, in fact, he didn't arm his gun with bullet and he never hurt the hostage. what he had done was out of one purpose---saving his kid. he was a great father
in my heart!
Irene608
Irene608

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna!!! Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:35 pm

Every people cherish their life in the world. It is unfair that we have to put our destiny to some others’ hands. I do not approve the Taking-Hostages strategy. However, I do not know what he can do to save his child from the gate of death. The doctors only know money. They do not care about patients’ suffering. If john accepted the arrangement of fate to let his boy end, I will despise him. So whatever, I Believe it is a reasonable act under that circumstances

Anna!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard614 Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:44 pm

If John Q did not take hostages, his son would die. Before he took hostages, he tried anything he could, but he didn't finish the job to collect enough money. The hospital even wanted to let his son out immediately after he had handed some money.That's the reason why he had to do something extreme to call up the attention of the hospital and the society. Violence always works. Although it can take, someone's life. John Q had chosen to take this risk to save his son's life.
I think his art is reasonable and understandable under the circumstances.You. I understand him, despite the fact that I have got no son now.
Richard614
Richard614

Back to top Go down

Post  vicky610 Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:53 pm

Yes, his son is very likely to die. However, I don’t think it is taking hostage that works, but the father’s kindness. If he acted violently, taking others’ life as nothing, no one would be moved by him, let alone help him, thus his son would also probably die. After all, he even didn’t arm his gun with bullet. He was up to nothing evil. This is why everyone is inclined to help him and why his son can survive.

vicky610

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie620 Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:22 pm

MR. DUKES wrote:Taking hostages for any reason is wrong, but it seems to have worked for John Q's son getting a heart transplant. What do you think would have happened if John Q did not take hostages, and what this act reasonable because of the circumstances? (Explain your answer) king

In this movie, if John Q did not take hostages, his son would probably not get a new heart and would be dead before John could find another way to work things out. But just because this is a movie, John got applause even if his behavior was illegal. And just because this is a movie, he finally saved his son without killing himself.

Jamie620

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie620 Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:41 pm

MR. DUKES wrote:Taking hostages for any reason is wrong, but it seems to have worked for John Q's son getting a heart transplant. What do you think would have happened if John Q did not take hostages, and what this act reasonable because of the circumstances? (Explain your answer) king

And yes John's act is reasonable from on family's side even if it's illegal and might be unacceptable on other patients' sides who are also in desperate for a new heart. Patients on the list all in need of a new heart and they might have waited for months. Why would John's son get a new heart before them? Is it because of John's violent behavior? If it is, then he's setting the model, telling the people that if they dare take risks, they will save their beloved.

Jamie620

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie620 Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:42 pm

Besides, keeping hostages in the emergency room is the worst and most stupid idea. He only got a cordial surgeon with him, he would have killed the shot man if it was in real life. Not to mention other patients who were rejected by him on the phone; a woman said another hospital she could reach to is too far from her. He was putting other people's life at edge only for his own son. Isn't it selfish?

Last edited by Jamie620 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jamie620

Back to top Go down

Post  kaitlin602 Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:41 am

In th world, everything can happen. If John Q didn't take hostage, he may have no enough time and money to cave his son, hut maybe their would have some miracle happened to his son. so the most propablt things is that his son dead because disease. and take hostage cannot worked enery time, if Johe Q is not a virtuous people, he would be killed by the police of the hostages and cannot got the help by these hostages. If there is not a proper heart for his son, he would killed himself to save his son. so we can just say it is really a miracle.

kaitlin602

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca604 Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:47 am

It's really a coincidence that John Q's son can find a matchful heart at the very time, otherwise his act of taking hostage would not work much. All his purpose was to make his son's name on the list, but even though his was told that, the actual fact was not the same. Thus the only result wound be that he ended himself in jail and making no contribution to his son's life. I'm wondering whether he could get some help if he transferred his son to national hospital.

Rebecca604

Back to top Go down

Post  Cara601 Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:04 am

If John Q didn't take hostage , his son would die. Because doctors didn't care about the life of his son. As a doctor, they saw a lot of people die. So they regard death as a normal thing. John Q must fight for his son. His act is deserved.

Cara601

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down