World changers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gattaca (Part 1)

+21
Bella628
Doris605
Irene608
Ellen09
star622
vicky610
susan619
Molly613
callie616
Alexander-611
sierra612
Sophie615
victor625
kaitlin602
Jenna624
sun618
shirley621
Sara607
Anna!!!
Linda627
MR. DUKES
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gattaca (Part 1) Empty Gattaca (Part 1)

Post  MR. DUKES Fri May 04, 2012 1:20 am

Is success in life rely on the DNA of a person at birth or is a person's potential for a success rely on opportunity given, hard-work, and perseverance?

What is the best gauge to determines someone's potential in life Question

MR. DUKES

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 1) Empty Effort determines success to large degree!

Post  Linda627 Fri May 04, 2012 2:16 pm

In my opinion, the possibility of success is added by DNA to some degree and largely relys on the effort after one's birth. It is no doubt that DNA plays an important role in talent and ability. However, it is the effort that determines success. Even if you have the excellent DNA, one does not work hard and he cannot succeed. Even if one is lack of something, he can have it through his effort, such as through practice to get the ability of speaking fluently like a great speaker of Ancient Athen(sorry for forgetting his name ).

Linda627

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 1) Empty my point

Post  Anna!!! Fri May 04, 2012 5:46 pm

When we first step into school or society, everyone is the same; we have the same opportunities lying , the same difficulties and troubles , and the same encouragement and support from our family and friends.
However, some years later, we have gone in quite different directions. Some reach their goals and enjoy the happiness of success, while some lose not only their dreams but also their confidence. What makes the big difference? I believe It’s hard work that make us different..

Anna!!!

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 1) Empty reply

Post  Sara607 Sat May 05, 2012 2:43 am

Both of them have a great effect on one's life while postnatal efforts take on a bigger role. In the real society, the majority's quality of DNA are almost the same. However,, some are successful while some are nobody. Why? DNA is none of the business of success here, the only differents are their backgrounds, characters and so on.

Everyone is unique and he has his own way to success, therefore I donot think there is a gauge to determine one's potential in life.
Sara607
Sara607

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 1) Empty Re: Gattaca (Part 1)

Post  shirley621 Sat May 05, 2012 2:37 pm

Of course the success in life would not rely on the DNA. Maybe the talent a person born with contributes a little to his success, but it is just the least important factor. There is a proverb goes,” success is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration”. You cannot judge a person according to his gene.
I don’t think there is an effective way to predict someone’s future. However, there may be some signs that you can probably guess how will he perform in the future. For example, if a person is hard-working and willing to face any difficulty, you may know he will succeed someday.

shirley621

Back to top Go down

Post  sun618 Sat May 05, 2012 3:49 pm

MR. DUKES wrote:Is success in life rely on the DNA of a person at birth or is a person's potential for a success rely on opportunity given, hard-work, and perseverance?

DNA does matter a lot for a person's future. However, it's just one of the most important factors. With good DNA, one may feel easier to do thing successfully. While without it, one can also acheive to a certain high level through his endless effort and perseverance. There is no best way to gauge a person's potential in life. Because a person changes over his life time. He may be not good or worse than the others in the beginning, while he becomes better in the end. The changing course is unpredictable. Choose a good way for yourself, then develop yourself along the way.
sun618
sun618

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 1) Empty my answer

Post  Jenna624 Sat May 05, 2012 5:21 pm

It is hard to say. It I have to choose one, I will choose the latter one. I think the opportunity given, hard work and perseverance matter more in one success.
Some people may say that since the secret of the DNA was discovered by mankind, we have got to know the power of the DNA. They argue that some people who born with some certain gift will have more opportunity to succeed than others. But nobody will succeed easily without hard work. For example, the world renowned inventor Edison was told to be stupid when he was in elementary school. Nobody could he had the best DNA of his parents. But he succeeded through thousands times of experiments. He left the famous saying: Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. As for the brothers, one is endowed with the best genes, the other is normal, even mediocre to some degree, in the movie, and they will have a dramatic life experience. And I guess the elder one will be more successful than his younger brother.

Jenna624

Back to top Go down

Post  kaitlin602 Sun May 06, 2012 1:22 pm

MR. DUKES wrote:Is success in life rely on the DNA of a person at birth or is a person's potential for a success rely on opportunity given, hard-work, and perseverance?

at first, people is clever or not is rely on DNA, i think intelligence is given at birth. but there character is influnced by their living environment, their parents and ralations attitude, their friends ,their teacher ... So i think the sucsess is rely on opportunity given, hard-work,and perseverance.
and i think the best the gauge to determines their potential in life is their character and enviroment.

kaitlin602

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 1) Empty it is best what is normal

Post  victor625 Mon May 07, 2012 4:24 am

relying on the modification of DNA is not the normal way and seldom happens in life. everyone is born with a fixed DNA, if we desire success, we ought to pay more attention to our characteristic improvement and positive spirit like hard work, perseverance, patience, etc. in the future, if possible, it is a good try relying on our DNA to obtain victory.
victor625
victor625

Back to top Go down

Post  Sophie615 Tue May 08, 2012 3:10 pm

I think the latter one matters more to success. Without opportuniry, hard-working and perseverance, one cannot achieve success even though he has the best DNA. However, one can still achieve success through grasping opportunity, hard-working and perseverance, even though he doesn't have the best DNA. I think the best gauge to determine one's potential in life is the connate advantages and the ability to use these advantages.

Sophie615

Back to top Go down

Post  sierra612 Tue May 08, 2012 4:50 pm

I think both can affect the success of a person. The personality decides one's success in the future, and the personality is the combination of innate inheritance and postnatal fostering. However, these two kinds of factors have different functions. Perhaps the latter is more important than the former.The DNA of a person is a very important factor to decide one's success, if one has a good DNA, it will pave a good way for his or her success. However, if one doesn't have a good DNA, he can also achieve success by opportunity, hard-working and perseverance.That is to say, a good DNA is not necessary, while opportunity, hard-working and perseverance are necessary and decisive.
In my opinion, there are several factors that can determine one's potential in life. First, the basic one is the DNA from parents because it can decides one's personality. Second, the environment is also important in determining one' s life. It can promote or block one's development. Finally, the most important factor is opportunity and his own effort. I believe that hard work will be paid off someday in the future. As long as one keeping on working hard and never give up, he will achieve success at last!

sierra612

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 1) Empty I still believe that "99 percent of persperation and 1 percent of insperation

Post  Alexander-611 Wed May 09, 2012 4:57 am

No matter what kind of DNA a person was born with, as long as he make efforts he will get wht he wants. we are born eaqual, although we have different DNA but as long as we pay we shall gain. A genius is 99 percent of persperation and 1 percent of inspration. constantly fighting is the key to success.

Alexander-611

Back to top Go down

Post  callie616 Wed May 09, 2012 11:04 am

Smile As far as I am concerned, I am in favor of the latter. Whether a person achieves his goal or not hinges on whether he seizes the golden opportunity and makes preparations for the success through hard-work. As a matter of fact, endeavors are vital for the success. If one person doesn’t spend enough time to learn or enrich himself, he will not mange to handle the affairs so that he can’t take advantage of the opportunity. In addition, on the way to the success, one person is bound to confront many obstacles. If he didn’t persevere in, he would not have a chance to see the sunshine of victory. Suppose one person with the excellent DNA at birth doesn’t work hard and give up as soon as he meets with the difficulties, does he really specialize in one certain field and achieve the success? So we can see from that, success does not only determine on the DNA at birth. It requires hard-work, perseverance and opportunity.

callie616

Back to top Go down

Post  Molly613 Wed May 09, 2012 11:32 am

I think the acquired disposition plays a decisive role in one’s life. The good DNA may affect one’s intelligence to some degree, but the intelligence can be developed in acquired study. We should cherish the inborn talent and make up the weaknesses by hardworking and perseverance.
The best gauge is to observe their living habit instead of relying on the DNA. I also think the potential can be developed on purpose.

Molly613

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 1) Empty REPLY

Post  susan619 Wed May 09, 2012 11:45 am

In my opinion, a person's success is related to his DNA at his birth. The reason for that is our IQ was dicided much more at his birth, that's to say, someone will be born to have very high IQ, while someone will be born with a disease in his brain which will damage his IQ. So, DNA is an important factor which is predestined and you cannot change. After that, you need to work hard and to be persistent in doing things, which makes you competent and ready when opportunity falls on you. Then it's the natural step where the opportunity comes and you grasp it and then you will make it.
susan619
susan619

Back to top Go down

Post  vicky610 Wed May 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Both of them have a non-ignorable effect on a people’s life. But the latter one greatly outweighs the former one. With better DNA, one may feel they can do things more smoothly. But it is the opportunity given, hard-work, and perseverance that determine one’s success. Most of the people in world are endowed with almost the same IQ. However, the environment they live in, the education they get, the experience they have, and the idea they build up in mind, all have influence on the people’s character and ability. The DNA can determine nothing.
As I have said, many things can affect what way people choose, so I think we can’t gauge their future ability. Just take something as it comes.

vicky610

Back to top Go down

Post  star622 Wed May 09, 2012 2:51 pm

Both, the DNA of a person can give him some advantages over others at first. But it is not the only factor at work. If he is too complacent of his inherent advantages and not work hard and conscientious in later life, he may not attain success as well. But if one is born with some defects, even given opportunities and he is hard-working, it is not always true that he will make a miracle and success later. Sometimes an inherent advantage plays a very important role in the progress of pursuit of success.

One’s characteristic. Abilities that different people own don’t vary too much. It is their characteristics that decide whether they will succeed or not. A down-to-earth attitude will help a not-so–clever people cover his shortcomings. While an arrogant person may lose easily even he owns skilled ability.

star622

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 1) Empty re:Admin

Post  Ellen09 Thu May 10, 2012 3:06 am

Well,as for me, both of them are what we should emphasize.But we should emphasize the influence of latter surroundings more.That is , if we want to reach to our purpose,we have to try our best ,through hard-work,perseverance and so on.Maybe you will doubt why I put DNA at birth at such important position.But if you know Einstain studys principle of relativity by himself when he was only 11 years old, you will understand what I mean. Very Happy As a common people ,what I pursue is just a peaceful life. Iwant to realize my dream through hard-work and perseverance.Certainly,if Ican get the honor to be endowed with some natural abilities,better! flower

Ellen09

Back to top Go down

Post  Irene608 Thu May 10, 2012 5:31 pm

well, i think a person's potential for success is partially determined by his DNA. his hardworking ,determination and perseverance will also aid to his success. for example, a congenital disabled person may finally recover after the great effort made by his parents and himself. so, i believe nothing is impossible!
as for the best way to predict a person's potential ability, it's obversing his personality whether he is confident for himself to success,namely, his ambition. the second is to see whether he is trying his best to manage to do that.
Irene608
Irene608

Back to top Go down

Post  Doris605 Fri May 11, 2012 1:02 pm

I think the determining factor in one's success is his or her personality. And one's factor is deeply influenced by the growing environment, such as the family and what friends are around him or her. The DNA, which I think dose not play a key role in one's road to success. All it is concern is whether the person is healthy or not, and it is not that important as most of people are born to be healthy(of course there are exceptions ). So, if I were the mother, I will choose a natural baby come from love instead of experiment.

Doris605

Back to top Go down

Post  Bella628 Fri May 11, 2012 3:33 pm

Einstein said Genius is one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration. One talent is partly determined by his DNA. That can explain why some people have the gift for piano or dancing, while others are not. No matter how hard these people tried to learn dance, they just cannot perform well. If these people want to be successful in the future, they shall give up the career and start something new. However, When they find their talent in other career, they will not success if they don't work hard. The 99 perspiration decides whether one will be successful in the future.

Bella628

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard614 Thu May 17, 2012 5:49 pm

I think it is not DNA which designs your future.It matters much, but not all. It's one of the most important factors. Better DNA, may be more intelligent baby. While, ordinary DNA can lead you to a better life, too. Not all of the millionaires are persons who have picked up the greatest DNA in the world. No data shows that. So I think it is no use to worry about that. Just do what you want to do and keep it, it will work.
Richard614
Richard614

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca604 Sun May 20, 2012 7:50 am

Since we are so distant from this sophisticated technology, we can not judge its truth. But i don't think it does any good to the human being. If DNA can really change a person's ability, then everyone would cut the short to perfect himself. we no longer have competition and hard-working time. this makes life insignificant. I am still in favor of such success coming from self endeavor and fight.

Rebecca604

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie620 Thu May 24, 2012 3:46 pm

One cannot say that perfect genes assures success but at least provides higher possibility. Besides, opportunity, perseverance, and hard-work are all indispensable. But compared with hard-work, I prefer to say it's "smart-work" that is more important. Hard-work without tactic can be useless work, but if work smartly, we might yield twice the result with half the effort. Maybe some people will say it's taking a shortcut and is unacceptable, but if we can make good use of the "spare" effort that "smart-work" leaves, why not?

Last edited by Jamie620 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jamie620

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna!!! Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:48 pm

In some degree, success is relying on the DNA of a person at birth. Maybe that is why Jews are smarter than normal person and win splendid achievements. But in the majority, a person's potential for a success relies on opportunity given, hard-work, and perseverance. If we are given the chance to demonstrate ourselves or follow our dreams, i believe that we will spare no effort to chase our dreams and realize oneself value or even contribute a strength for development of our company. To any parson who have dreams, everything is possible. Sp I reckon that dream is the best gauge to determines someone's potential in life.

Anna!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next