World changers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gattaca (Part 2)

+20
Irene608
Jamie620
Richard614
vicky610
Sophie615
sierra612
callie616
Jenna624
Bella628
Doris605
sun618
Ellen09
susan619
Molly613
Linda627
star622
shirley621
Rebecca604
Sara607
MR. DUKES
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty Gattaca (Part 2)

Post  MR. DUKES Fri May 18, 2012 12:37 am

In the not so distant future:

Gattaca starts off with this statement. Do you thinks that societies already show prejudices against people because of their DNA?

If we had this kind of technology to use in the world; would you choose to use it?

Why did vincent challenge what science told him about his life?

Do you believe that science can predict a person's future ability?

MR. DUKES

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty reply

Post  Sara607 Sun May 20, 2012 5:45 am

1. Yes, in their opinion, the valid won't commit a crime for they don't have that kind of gene,

2. No, I won't. I'd like to be the one I was born to be. I hope my life will be colorful and full of unknown. I really dislike to be told what one will be like and how old will he live since born. It's terrible to me.

3. He has dream. A man who has dream will have great power, he can even creat miracles. and Vincent is the one who has dream.

4. I donot believe that science can predict a person's furture. to some extent, human beings are beyond the imagination of science.It's amazing and miracle.
Sara607
Sara607

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty Re: Gattaca (Part 2)

Post  Rebecca604 Sun May 20, 2012 8:01 am

I think there are quite some ways to predict a person's ability. A child would more or less reveal some character of their future image. they may be crazy about a particular kind of thing and they may be good at a particular thing since their childhood. so they may develop this kind of advantage continously. Through this we can make some judge. But every thing can be changed through acquired training. We can improve and perfect ourselves through hard-working and persistance. and the acquired power is overwhelming, most people have to depend on this actually. so we don not need since to do some rigid change. that brings nothing but harmness and disharmony.

Rebecca604

Back to top Go down

Post  shirley621 Sun May 20, 2012 8:37 am

I don’t believe the DNA can judge whether a person is excellent or not. In fact, this movie aims to tell the audience not to do so either. Just as that famous proverb says, “success is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration”. No one is born to success or fail, it lie in your own hand.
I think this technology is helpful to those couples who are unable to give birth to child. This might be a good thing.
I admire Vincent for his braveness of challenging his life. Do not let those who told you can’t ruin your life. I think Vincent had set a good example for us. As long as you believe in yourself, then nothing can stop you in the pursuit of your dream.

shirley621

Back to top Go down

Post  star622 Sun May 20, 2012 9:39 am

Not yet, the current society merely shows discrimination against gender like females and some conspicuous diseases like HBV carriers.
Maybe, I will adopt it in such way that it will help people prevent from catching some congenital diseases. So they can enjoy a much better future. But I don’t show my support for the entire gene optimization. It will result in chaos, unfair treatment and fierce competition.
Vincent has the dream to go up, which motivates him to work hard and not allow his fate at the mercy of the so-called science-technology.
No, science test can tell some capacities of people like EQ, IQ and so forth. But it only means the abilities endowed with one by birth. It doesn’t direct the course of fate in the future. Man can make up what he lacks through postnatal learning and by challenging the authority and final conclusion.

star622

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty Re!

Post  Linda627 Sun May 20, 2012 1:24 pm

Totally, I do not believe science can predict the future of a man. The future of one is decided by many factors. Take vincent for example. He was a child who was predicted to have 99% to get a heart problem. And he was not accepted by that circle. However, he succeeded realizing his dream through his efforts. One can change his fate through hard work.
If technology in the future can change the DNA of people, I will apply it for deleting some bad genes, such as some diseases.

Linda627

Back to top Go down

Post  Molly613 Mon May 21, 2012 3:49 pm

Not yet. But may be in the future it will be.
I won’t use it. Even though the valid will have better genes and they probably do better than the invalid in some aspects, they are not infallible in every aspect. The growth of anyone will be influenced by the environment. One person’s achievement is conditioned by the degree of his hardworking.
Vincent didn’t believe predestined fate. He wanted to show his value. Even if he didn’t have good genes, he still will be perfect through hardworking and persisting.
Of course it cannot. Science may tell one’s IQ, but IQ can be improved by learning. I think people’s future is decided by what he has done and is doing.
Everything is possible.

Molly613

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty REPLY

Post  susan619 Mon May 21, 2012 5:23 pm

No, i don't think so. DNA is inherited from our parents. It's a gift given by them and we should appreciate it. When our mothers were in pregnancy, we had caused lots of trouble to them, for example, they couldn't walk freely, eat freely and all of their activities were limited, and at the same time, our fathers, also contributed a lot to our growth in our mothers' wombs. This process is very holy and the DNA we got from both of them should be appreciated. So, to judge people only by their DNA is unacceptable from where DNA comes. What's more, people's potential is beyond our measure. Also, i won't use this kind of technology. It will do harm to the natural balance. Imperfect is also a kind of perfect. We needn't so many elites in the whole world. That kind of world will be boring and absurd.
I do not believe that science can predict a person's future ability so accurately. To judge a person, we should focus on his potential, his hard work and his persistence. If we solely depend on science to make a judgement, there will be no clear distinction between animals and humans, because we have no ideas to change our situation and do something special.Vince bears an ambition in his heart, and he is very brave and persistent. He has the courage to say no to what he has been judged to be. He wants to pursue his dream no matter how hard it will be. He is brave enough to challenge the authorities. His deeds prove that people's potential is powerful enough to shake the world.
susan619
susan619

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty re:Admin

Post  Ellen09 Tue May 22, 2012 9:43 am

In the not so distant future:
Arrow
Well, actually, societies always show prejudices against people ,not only because of their DNA,but also in many other aspects.If we really can use such kind of technology,I ,will not choose to use it.Although it sounds very amazing, it is against the natural process of life.The reason why Vincent challenge what science told about his life is he wanted to control or grasp his own life ,even prove his existence to others,not to listen to what others told him. And in my opinion,science cannot predict a person's future ability.Since it can ,why we should limit our abilities just according to such so-called predict? No,and never!

Ellen09

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty my reply

Post  sun618 Tue May 22, 2012 1:02 pm

MR. DUKES wrote:In the not so distant future:

Gattaca starts off with this statement. Do you thinks that societies already show prejudices against people because of their DNA?

If we had this kind of technology to use in the world; would you choose to use it?

Yes, society does show their prejudices against people with their DNA. For example,during the second world war, the Nazis discriminated the Jews and wanted to destroy that whole race.They are jealous about this brilliant race , in other words, their DNA.
If we have this technology, I would like to use it. However, not for the purpose of creating a man with the best DNA, but for giving the normal people the healthy DNA.
Because VIncent wants to show that nothing is impossible once you set your mind to do sth. Diligence and hardworking always help one to achieve a good results.
I don't belive it. Science is not magic. One's fate is not decided by DNA but by the way how somebody lives their life. Very Happy
sun618
sun618

Back to top Go down

Gattaca (Part 2) Empty reply

Post  Doris605 Tue May 22, 2012 1:55 pm

Yes, I think people showed their prejudice against the people born naturally in the film. In my mind, this kind of tech is unbelievable! Neutral How can people in the future choose such king of way to decide their baby's future. Anyhow, I think one's DNA is not that fatal, just as what is proved in the film, Vincent is more competent than his "perfect" brother. I admire Vincent's bravery. He has not given way to his fateful future, and he wants to prove to his parents, maybe. scratch that, they are just as good as the other one, so his parents should pay equal attention to them.
As for the tech, it can decide one's physical condition, while it can not affect one's personality, which plays a key role in one's success. So, generally speaking, science can not decide one's future ability. study

Doris605

Back to top Go down

Post  Bella628 Tue May 22, 2012 4:24 pm

1, yes, definately. In the Gattaca, people judge one person's abilities according to their DNA, but as to the God's Children, their DNA is not as perfect as the other people's. The God's children are regarded not qualified for certain job. In other words, the God's children are looked down upon.

2, It is hope that told him to challenge science. The saying that one life is held in his own hands. As long as we still alive, we can decide our own life instead of science. I reallt adore Vincent's courage.

3, To some degree, science can predict a person's future ability. But more often than not, the environment that the person grow up also can make a great influence on his life. DNA is not the only reason.

Bella628

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenna624 Tue May 22, 2012 4:41 pm

In today’s society, at least, there is no such prejudice as judging a person by the DNA. Because human beings hasn’t done much to alter mankind’s DNA. But as the technology develops, this kind of high-tech may become a truth. And I think I will have a try, because with chosen DNA, I will have immune to many diseases. Vincent chooses to challenge what the science because he has a long-cherished dream: gong to the space. And another reason is that in a swimming race, he realizes that he is not as weak as he used to think and his brother is not as strong as the science has decided. So he wants to challenge the science under the guise of science.
I don’t think science can decide a person’s life. A person’s destiny lies in his effort, rather the endowed gift or the DNA.

Jenna624

Back to top Go down

Post  callie616 Wed May 23, 2012 2:59 pm

Gattaca displays the state-of-the-art hi-tech. In this movie, I sense that scientists hold some prejudices against people in terms of DNA. All staffs working on the space project are elites. By contrast, those who are not as excellent as elites are only allowed to do something like washing the windows or cleaning the toilets. People are divided into different groups who are in charge of different things. To some extent, scientists judge people by DNA at birth.
If this kind of technology is really available, I would make use of technology to save the endangered species. If the rare DNA can be extracted from the endangered species and well-preserved, I could breed the offspring of them. In the meantime, the preserved DNA will enable scientists to conduct some experiments to stop them from going extinct.
In my view, Vincent has always been dreaming of exploring the deep space. In addition, he doesn’t want to be defeated by his younger brother. Nor bend his head to the predicted fate. So he gives it his best shot, and tries to change his destiny.
Actually, I don’t think science can predict one’s future through his DNA. Since there are so many accidental events, science isn’t able to precisely predict what will happen to him. Besides, the destiny is at the hands of the person himself. He can determine his life and leave a kind of life as he likes. Moreover, I also believe in the miracles. Men’s will outweighs the DNA. Some phenomena will beyond the science. Admittedly, science could predict one’s physical future like disease, life expectancy but it couldn’t foresee one’s life in reality.

callie616

Back to top Go down

Post  sierra612 Thu May 24, 2012 7:27 am

In my opinion, society does show prejudices against people because of their DNA. But I think this is normal. Thre are different kinds of things for different people to do. One must choose what they can do according to their own conditions. If one doesn’t have the ability both physical and mental to do the job, the society won’t allow them to do. In a word, society choose people to do different things according to their DNA.
No, I won’t do that. I will not to act another person. I will try to be myself, no matter what I am like. I like freedom, and I want to live happily as myself, not other people. In my opinion, trying to act others every day is really tired even though he or she just wants to realize his dream. What’ more, I will realize my dream through my own efforts.
The most important reason is his dream. To him, dream and reality are too far away. In order to realize his dream, he can sacrifice everything, including himself.
No, I don’t believe. Science does play an important role in predicting a person’s future ability. However,everything in the future is unpredictable and anything can happen. What’s more, science is just an external cause, not the decisive one. Perhaps one’s efforts or something else can play a more important role.

sierra612

Back to top Go down

Post  Sophie615 Thu May 24, 2012 7:36 am

The society shows prejudices because of one's DNA. For example, when one person choooses spouse, he or she prefers the tall ones and the beautiful ones, not only because of the good appearance, but also because he or she has a good DNA, which can be passed on to children. Vincent does not believe the technology, he only believe himself, he want to prove that even though he doesn't have best DNA, he still can do better than others. I think predicting a people's future ability by science is ridiculous. A person's ability is affected and formed by his latter environment. How could a machine predict so many things?

Sophie615

Back to top Go down

Post  vicky610 Thu May 24, 2012 11:34 am

For the first one: absolutely yes. The so-called valid ones are considered to be better. They would do nothing wrong, nothing bad, or nothing violent. In other words, only the invalid are considered likely to do this. Actually, the valid seem to be well-written programs or well-made robots but not people. Yet they treat the natural-born people as the inferior and let them do things that are unimportant.
This kind of things should not be used at present. Someone may be up to something bad. The common people can easily be the victims and they can even do nothing to protect themselves. Besides, I don’t want an indifferent world full of human-looking robots. I would rather die.
As we are human being, we have potential. Vincent has proved that if the gene can reach it, the determination can do it, too. He has a dream, and he endeavor to make it come true. This is where the human potential lies.
Science is not always right. Many things can affect people’s ideas, characters & choices. Science can’t foretell all of this. If we want to use science to predict one’s future ability, it’ll become the same with superstition, nothing different. Thus, it is ridiculous that to consider science can predict a person's future ability.

vicky610

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard614 Thu May 24, 2012 4:11 pm

I think our society has not got ready for these men produced by high-tech projects. Nowadays, few ordinary people would care about DNAs in one's body. And there is no prejudice on this.But if we "unfold" this kind of technology someday, many people, especially wealthy ones would really care about the DNA type and the quality. While where there is a question, there must be a solution, too. So a man can do what they want to do. It's just a matter of time. I won't guess whether science can predict a man's life or his ability. However, I think we all have the abilities to surpass the limit of science and finish what we can do in the condition of not obeying the natural law.
Richard614
Richard614

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie620 Thu May 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Yes I do think that the society shows prejudices against people because of their DNA. People with good looking have larger opportunities for a new job compared with "sorry-looking" people sharing similar working ability. It's also easier for them to gain a stranger's favorable opinion that the first sight. People with high IQ are usually "hot" in many different field, esp. in scientific ones. It's easier for them to succeed because all kinds of opportunities are provided.

Last edited by Jamie620 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jamie620

Back to top Go down

Post  Irene608 Thu May 24, 2012 4:46 pm

I don't think so! The modern society has not showed prejudice against people because of their DNA. Maybe we all know the Eugenics, which studies how to give birth to better offsprings. But this method, i think, is just used to avoid genetic diseases. I don't think it's reasonable to show prejudice because of DNA. If we had this kind of technology to use in this world, I would not choose to use it. I prefer the natural born child. Smile
As for Vincent, since he was a boy, he started to challenge what science had said. I think he was an ambitious boy. I like him~ He was discriminated by his father when he was very young. I think that's unfair! Vincent was also unwilling to submit, so he always wanted to prove himself through success. On the other hand, in this movie, I really think the prediction about Vincent from science is disgusting. How can it predict a person's fate. That's ridiculous!
Irene608
Irene608

Back to top Go down

Post  kaitlin602 Sat May 26, 2012 4:48 am

In the society, I thibk most people won;t show their prejudices only because their DNA. DNA cannot mean everything, even the future achieving. people's developing and success didn't rely on their DNA , but their characters and their heart. so I wouldn't to use this kind of technology in the world, it will destroy us. And the technology cannot tell people's life and future.

kaitlin602

Back to top Go down

Post  Amelia026 Sat May 26, 2012 4:37 pm

Why did Vincent challenge what science told him about his life? It is his dream. He dreams of becoming a member of Gattaca. As a natural man without good genes, he dares to challenge science, which is a scarcely brave behavior. It is no doubt that there were so many difficulties during this process: hairs’ disconnection from body, being suspected as a murderer. As a natural man, he is very great. He does not have a strong body as those with good DNA. But he did not cower, it is his dream that provokes him go further and make success finally.

Amelia026

Back to top Go down

Post  Cara601 Thu May 31, 2012 6:51 am

Yes, the society have shown their prejudice toward the person who cannot pocess a exllent DNA. But if I can choose, I will not choose to be a perfect person. It is stressful when you try to do everything well. And if your DNA make you to succeed in every field, you cannot feel the true happiness of success and the bitter of lost. And you have no idea about the hard-working.

Cara601

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna!!! Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:00 pm

Societies have already showed prejudices against people because of their DNA though societies always say that It was illegal to discriminate against “disabled” people. because in the process of frenetic pursuit of wealth, the competition is becoming more severe and theory of survival of the fittest takes action.

Anna!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna!!! Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:10 pm

Honestly, I will use it to create a peaceful world. I hope this king of technology could help to eliminate the suffering of pain , the end the poverty, to stop the war in the world. I believe it the strong longing for outer space that supports Vincent to challenge what science told him about his life. He must think: whatever price it takes, I will surrender to destiny. I do not believe that science can predict a person's future ability. May be science can foretell our life-span, but it is WE who determine our future.

Anna!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum