World changers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the Patriot Part 2 "the title"

+21
Anna!!!
Richard614
Doris605
Sophie615
Sara607
vicky610
Irene608
victor625
sierra612
susan619
Bella628
Jenna624
Alexander-611
Molly613
steven606
kaitlin602
shirley621
star622
sun618
Ellen09
Admin
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

the Patriot Part 2 "the title" Empty the Patriot Part 2 "the title"

Post  Admin Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:58 pm

The movie is called the Patriot.
Do you think this is an accurate title? Why?
Who do you think is the biggest patriot in the movie? Why?
What do you consider a patriot?

Admin
Admin

https://worldchangers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

the Patriot Part 2 "the title" Empty re:Admin

Post  Ellen09 Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:18 am

Well, this is a very diffcult question for me.Patriot is accurate.But I always think it is more like a movie about parental love.Maybe my thought is too narrow.But what we have to admit is that Ben's love for his children get through this movie. He is a great pariot who leads his men to fight against invaders.At the same time, he is a great father who tries his best to protect his children.Without the arrest of Gabriel and the death of Thomas, he will not stand to fight.So,here, his family palys an important role in his patriotic behaviors. And I think the biggest patriot in the movie is every freedom fighter. Although they don't have the tactics as Ben, their spirits to pursue for freedom and protect their families are never ignored. For example, after seeing the death of his wife and son, the man killed himself.He cannot bear the death of his beloved.Although he has more reasons to fight to the end, his spirits are still moving. And for me, a patriot is not someone who loves their country only,they also love their families.Or rather,they are someone who love their families first and then love their country.

Ellen09

Back to top Go down

the Patriot Part 2 "the title" Empty my opinion

Post  sun618 Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:15 pm

Admin wrote:

Seen from the definition of patriot noun from the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, patriot is a person who loves their country and who is ready to defend it against an enemy. A group of people led by Benjamin tried their best to protect their country. They sacrificed their lives for the American people and freedom. It's definitely a accurate name. While for the biggiest patriot i think none of them are.
Because everybody is so patriotic that you can find a better one of them. I think if born to a person of your country, you should always love your country and ready to protect it at anytime!!
sun618
sun618

Back to top Go down

the Patriot Part 2 "the title" Empty my understanding

Post  star622 Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:44 am

Yes, I think the title is accurate. When a nation is oppressed and people are exploited by invaders from other foreign countries, every citizen will fight for the freedom and peace of their homes, families and their country.

Benjamin martin is without any doubt the biggest patriot. He does not fight for violence but for love. He doesn’t advocate wars but consider war as a means to achieve peace because he knows war is the root of all evil. War can make people die. But people start war for living not dying. War is not out of his mind.

I once felt confused about the definitions of patriot and nationalist. Through this film, I have a clear idea about what a real patriot is. A common people’s love is the key for him to be a patriot. at least, he should have a deep love for his own family and try his all efforts to protect it. Only by doing this, he will protect his nation because a nation is made up of thousands of families like his own. When the war is over, he can come back to life as a common people. That is what a real patriot is.

star622

Back to top Go down

the Patriot Part 2 "the title" Empty Re: the Patriot Part 2 "the title"

Post  shirley621 Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:55 am

It is accurate to name the movie “patriot”. This film aims to depict the American people’s great courage to protect their own territory and fearlessness to fight against the British army. All the American soldiers, regardless of regular or militia, show their strong faith of building a new world. It is the power of loving the country that supports them to go through the cruel battle.

I think Gabriel is the biggest patriot in the movie. He always cares for the country. Before he enlisted, he was eager about any news delivered from the front. After the vote for levy, he is firm to join the army, though his father’s unwillingness to let him go. What’s more, after a near escape from death, he still decided to leave his family and came back to the army. He is a true hero. I could not believe he died under that evil Tavington.

shirley621

Back to top Go down

Post  kaitlin602 Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:12 am

Admin wrote:
I think this is an accurte title,because those people gather togethor were fifhting for their whole country--American.they fighting with redcoats to protect their hometown,their relations, their wifes and children ,and mostly the feedom for america. though benjamin at befinning didn't support the war, and didn't want his son Gabriel to join the army.because he thought his son is witless to be a soldier and feared his son lost his life. then, to prrotect his son and his hometown, he killed lots of redcoats and join the army. under his leadership,the american troops got the final won. so benjamin is the biggest patriot in the movie, he love his family and love his country. i consider a patriot is not a person who loves his country more than himself and his family. a people who love himself and his family a the man who can love his country in heart. those who for their country but sacrifice his family and himself is not the real love.

kaitlin602

Back to top Go down

Post  steven606 Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:37 am

Admin wrote:
1 Yes, it is an good title. However, I prefer the title "Independence ". I have seen a Sci-fic movie called "Independence day", I think it also suits perfectly to the movie "Patriot " .
2 Col. Harry Burwell. Because as a colonel, he fought all the time for the independence of America, and at last he succeeded in beating the British army by his tenacious spirit and excellent leadership.
steven606
steven606

Back to top Go down

Post  Molly613 Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:28 am

I think it is accurate. Patriots are the people who love and protect their motherland. In the movie, Benjamin led a group of people and fought together for their motherland. They were willing to devote their lives to protecting their motherland.
If we must choose one, I think the biggest patriot is Gabriel. At the war beginning, Gabriel is brave to enlist and serve the army. When facing death, cold and disease, he never drew back. Even though he is not skillful in tactics and strong in physical strength, he has determination to protect his motherland.
A patriot shouldn’t be judged by the big or small of the contribution to his motherland. A patriot is one who loves and is willing to fight for his motherland.

Molly613

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexander-611 Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:25 pm

I think the title is very suitable for the movie also for the heros in the movie. The patriot is not only the children's father. It also means the members of the militia. All of them are patriot, they devote their life in defending the English and protect their country. The biggest patriot is Benjamin. The tiltel is accurate for him.

Alexander-611

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenna624 Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:42 pm

I think patriot is a accurate title for the movie
Patriot is someone who loves his country and is willing to defend it. at that time, America hadn’t got total independence from Britain, but it had her own army and national flag. The characters in the film such as Benjamin Martin, his son Gabriel and Colonel Harry Burwell and many others leaved home and fought on the field against redcoats. They shed blood and some of then sacrificed their families, even their lives. All is for the independence and freedom of their country. So they live up to the name of patriots.
I cannot figure out who is the biggest patriot, because I think all of them have sacrificed a lot. There is no difference. Benjamin, the hero of the film, lost his two sons, his daughter-in-law and his farm. The soldiers stand, facing the enemies, till they fall down to the land which they are protecting. Everyone is a patriot.

Jenna624

Back to top Go down

Post  Bella628 Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:45 pm

1. It is an accurate title. From the beginning to the end, the movie showed the patriotism to its audiences. In the movie, the people in melitia fighted against the redcoat bravely in every battle.
2.Everyone in the movie is patriot. I cannot compare who is more patriotic than the other. In my opinion, everyone in the movie loved America and tried best to get rid of English cruel control. All the people was the biggest patriot.
3.Patriot is the people who love his own country and is willing to do anything for his countries' sake, including his own life.

Bella628

Back to top Go down

the Patriot Part 2 "the title" Empty REPLY

Post  susan619 Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:28 pm

Well, in my opinion, i do not think Patriot is an accurate title. In this film, this word can be used to refer to lots of people who has sacrificed a lot even their lives for the independence of the United States of America. It should not be used so narrow, and it should refer to lots of heros even common people who have contributed lots of efforts to their country.
I think the biggest patriot in the movie is the leading actor---Benjamin Matin. At first, he did not take part in the war and devoted himself to his country because he didn't want to kill people and he didn't want to commit crimes which he had done when he was a solider years ago. However, later his son, Thomas was killed by the Redcoats and Gabriel was brought away. All of those led to his change of his mind and he began to play an active part in the war. During the war, he fought the enemies bravely and he was good at using wise strategies to defeat the enemies. He really contributed almost all he had to his country.
A patriot should be brave. He must be very loyal and faithful to his country. Also, he must have contributed a lot to defend his country.
susan619
susan619

Back to top Go down

Post  sierra612 Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:00 am

Admin wrote:
Yes, I think the title is an accurate one. The main theme is about patriots. In this movie, people just fight against the English Army because of their patriotism. The movie shows us the American patriotism.
Many people are patriots in the movie, including Gabriel, the people in the bar and the church. Martin is the biggest patriot in the movie. He keeps the national flag all the time even though he retired from the army at first. Perhaps he always teaches his children to love their country, so his children have the passion to fight against the English Army. What's more, he is a father of seven children, as a common father, his main responsibility is to bring them up and protect them. But at the special period, he put his family aside and joins the army. After he experiences the loss of his two loved children, he ever wants to give up because he doesn't want to lose anymore. However, when he sees the national flag, he comes back. In the battlefield, when other soldiers want to retreat, it is he that hold the national flag and encourage the army to go on. I can say, without Martin, there is no victory.
A patriot refers to someone who loves his own country. He is loyal to his own country and devote all to protecting his country, including his life.

sierra612

Back to top Go down

the Patriot Part 2 "the title" Empty my idea

Post  victor625 Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:50 pm

Admin wrote:
it may be a proper title but not accurate, because it is not only about patriotism but also love of family members, brotherhood. i think love between family members also plays a big role in the movie.
i do not think there is the biggest patriot in the movie, 'cause everyone who is ready to sacrifice to their country is a patriot, they are equal as patriots.
you love your country, feel proud of her, hold her in respect and is willing to sacrifice for her at any cost at any time, then you are a patriot.
victor625
victor625

Back to top Go down

Post  Irene608 Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:03 pm

Well, when I saw the first question, I thought you, Mr.Dukes, wanted me to challenge the writer of this movie. Smile I think it's an accurate title. Although this whole film was forwarded according to what happened to Benjamin's family, the whole event showed people's attitude toward freedom and their feelings to their own country, which was what the writer wanted to focus on.

In this film, I think Gabriel is the biggest patriot. That's because what he did really changed his father's mind. Gabriel was full of patriotic passion. At the beginning of the movie, his father refused to join in the American army, which shook his position in his son's heart, but Gabriel insisted on paticipating into the war. After getting injured in the first war and backing home, Gabriel persisted in going back to the battlefield, which changed his father's opinion. Maybe what Benjamin did was just to protecr his son, so he had to. Near the ending of the movie, the father saw the American flag which had been mended by his son. At this point, we can see how loyal and confident his son was to his own country, which also prompted the father to go back to the field to complete his son's will. That's moving!

As a patriot, he or she should be brave at least. Not just fighting. It means that he or she should have a loyal heart for his own country, no matter what happens to the country. Just like true love, back it until death.
Irene608
Irene608

Back to top Go down

Post  vicky610 Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:01 pm

First, I don’t consider the title “Patriot” as accurate. If the audiences think that the protagonist is Benjamin, the theme of movie would be deep love among family members but not his patriotism because that’s not the most obvious character of him. If the theme is patriotism, the protagonist would not be Benjamin but all the people fight for America’s freedom. So I don’t think this is accurate. But it is acceptable.
In my mind, the biggest patriot in this movie is Gabriel. Though Colonel Harry Burwell is also very patriotic and fights from the beginning to the end, he doesn’t have the passion as Gabriel does, at least he doesn’t show it. It seems that he fights largely out of responsibility. Compared with Benjamin, Gabriel is young and unexperienced, but he is eager to do something for the country, while Benjamin fights, to a great degree, out of his love for family and misery of losing them. Thus, I think Gabriel is the biggest patriot, though he is not the hero and has died unfortunately.
A real patriot should be ready to devote everything to his country at any time. This sounds a little harsh and ideal, but there are many people like this in the history. These people are called “heroes”. They are really respectable.

vicky610

Back to top Go down

the Patriot Part 2 "the title" Empty reply

Post  Sara607 Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:51 am

Admin wrote:
This title is OK,but not very exactly. In my opinion, the hero at first didn't want to take part in the war, I think his son is a true patriot, while the father is more of paternal love. This title is much more suitable for his son.
the son Gaberial is the biggest patriot in the movie, I was moved when he sew the natinal flag. he influence greatly to both his father and his surroundings.
A real patriot is one who love his country merely out of love but not because of any other reasons.
Sara607
Sara607

Back to top Go down

Post  Sophie615 Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:04 pm

I think the title is accurate. The movie shows in detail Ben's love for his family, it seems that it tells more about family. However, after the man suicided for his families' death, Ben asked his soldiers to take care of their families. And he himself went back to visit his family and had a good time with them. It indicates that patriotism is based on love for family, if there is no family, patriotism is nonsense.
Ben is the biggest patriotist. Because he is a responsible father and a responsible citizen. In my opinion, a patriot is a man who loves his family and his country.

Sophie615

Back to top Go down

the Patriot Part 2 "the title" Empty reply

Post  Doris605 Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:51 pm

Admin wrote:
I think the title is accurate. The story tells a group of patriot rather than one patriot as I supposed firstly. However, the story is told around a central hero, this man assembles all characters of a national hero, so, to some degree, this story has just told a story about a single man.
First of all, a patriot should be brave enough. He should have the courage to do what is right to his or her people, which is always against so many barriers. Secondly, a patriot must love his or her people in a wise way. He must know what to do, when to do it and where to do it. The last but the most is that he must be able to shoulder the pain of the lose. Just like what happened in the movie, the hero lost his beloved ones. The victory must have a price to pay.

Doris605

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard614 Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:06 am

I don't think Patriot is an accurate title for this movie. The word Partiot should be used to commend those who have contributed greatly to the independence of the USA,even their lives. In this movie, the hero has sacrificed his family and nearly lost his life. But through the whole film it is about the parental love, not patriotism.
The biggest patriot in the movie should be the hero Matin.He did not tend to join in the combat at first because he didn't want to force himself to the battlefield and kill again. Then after his second son Thomas was killed by the Redcoats and Gabriel was brought away, he turned up to rebellion.
In my opinion, a patriot should be wise first and then brave. Loyalty is the key factor to a patriot.
Richard614
Richard614

Back to top Go down

the Patriot Part 2 "the title" Empty for question one

Post  Anna!!! Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:38 pm

At the very beginning, when his son was killed, Benjamin went to the war; his struggle obviously was for revenge .There wasn’t any patriotism in this but rage for losing family members. However, as time went by, a lot of battles he had been through with his militia, Martin gradually became mature and found himself.. The moment his oldest son got killed, he was sad but not got mad. He didn’t drown in grief .Affected by his sons’ will and his own reflection; he was awakened and fought again. For some time, he did fight for his family, but now he went to serve the glorious cause of liberty and nation.

Anna!!!

Back to top Go down

the Patriot Part 2 "the title" Empty for question 2

Post  Anna!!! Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:49 pm

Benjamin .
According to what being describing in the movie, Benjamin was once recognized by people as a hero of the French and Indian Wars. He had suffered a lot through the battles in the French and Indian Wars. And In the following struggling for freedom of his nation, he paid a big price but he never gave up the fighting. Regardless of the sight of bloody and the danger of losing his life, he risked his life in the first battle line.

Anna!!!

Back to top Go down

the Patriot Part 2 "the title" Empty for question 3

Post  Anna!!! Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:57 pm

A Patriot is a person who can bravely dedicate his life for his nation with wisdom. Wherever he is, he always put his country’s interest at first place. Whenever his nation suffers, he will exert himself just for the sake of his country.

Anna!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Amelia026 Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:25 pm

It is not an accurate title. We can see love for family everywhere in this movie. Martin took arms just to protect his family, not totally for the country. Martin’s eldest son is supposed to be the biggest patriot in this movie. He was really always devoted to the war for freedom and peace.

Amelia026

Back to top Go down

Post  Amelia026 Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:30 pm

It is not an accurate title. We can see love for family everywhere in this movie. Martin took arms just to protect his family, not totally for the country. Martin’s eldest son is supposed to be the biggest patriot in this movie. He was really always devoted to the war for freedom and peace.

Amelia026

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next